The Commonwealth’s Special Convoy to the Maldives, Willy Mutunga warning government of international consequences said that the country is facing “severe democracy deficit”.
- Mutunga points out abysmal and alarming picture of the Maldives in a 14-point briefing note to CMAG
- Warned government that continued crackdown on dissent could lead to international consequences
- He said that high level of fear and political intimidation is prevailing
- Also raised question marks over the credibility of the next presidential elections in 2018
- Described judiciary as deeply politicised and compromised, and willing to disregard the principles of natural justice
Willy Mutunga’s 14-point briefing note to the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group, according to Asian News International, reads,
Read full report at Mihaaru