Government has officially dropped the ambitious 1.5 million tourist target this year alleging opposition of tarnishing the image of the country.
- Tourism minister Moosa Zameer said the government has been forced to revise 1.4 million target–the same as last year
- He paints opposition’s criticism as the primary reason behind the failure
- He says opposition portrayed Maldives as prone to a terrorist attack which has deeply affected tourist arrivals
- He, however, downplayed the effects Al Jazeera documentary which exposed mass corruption
- The number is too high to achieve even after government’s enhanced budget in promoting tourism
Read full report at Mihaaru