After Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group’s (CMAG) threat to suspend the Maldives from the group, both government and all opposition parties agreed to take part in all-party talks, however, on Monday President’s office (PO) issuing a whip said that politicians serving criminal sentences including former President Mohamed Nasheed cannot take part in the talks.
- The message was conveyed through a letter sent to political parties by Minister of State at the President’s Office (PO), Mohamed Mujthaz
- The letter was attributed to President Abdulla Yameen
- Maldivian Democratic Party had proposed to former President Mohamed Nasheed and Adhaalath Party (AP) leader Imran Abdulla in the talks
- Both of them were sentenced on terrorism charges
- MDP has Nasheed’s release on agenda for the talks
- PO also questioned AP’s function and said that the party’s decisions were questionable
Read full story at VNews