The People’s Majlis was stirred with the controversy of subsidy cut in staple food after the floor of the house opened after a recess of one month.
- The decision to subsidies from October 1 doubled the prices of staple food overnight
- All 52 MPs voted in favour to debate the price hike calling it national concern
- PPM MPs also criticised the government for the abrupt decision to hike prices
- A few defended the move saying that 40 per cent of beneficiaries of subsidies are expatriates
- Some MPs citing World Bank and IMF recommendations hailed President Yameen for unpopular decision for the good of the economy
- Opposition MPs lashed out at the government over the cut and raised issue of stolen money in the MMPRC corruption scandal
Read full story at Maldives Independent