A Vietnamese shipping company may be fined a record MVR 633million (US$45million) for damaging a reef in the country, according to a proposal by environmental regulator.
- MV NGOC Son allegedly damaged the island’s south western reef on August 13
- The carrier vessel belonging to Northern Shipping Joint Stock Company was carrying construction material for a water and sanitation project Fuvahmulah
- The council said the ship caused irreversible damage around a diving spot
- The company has been given 30-day period to contest the fine
- According to the Environmental Protection and Preservation Act, the maximum fine that can be levied for environmental damages is MVR100million
Abdul Rasheed Nafiz, chairman of transport authority said: